Mother Teresa once said “It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”
Mother Teresa may have been a Saint, but she could cut a bitch when playing Parcheesi .
I heard about the Extra Life 2013 from the amazing and talented writer and RPG designer Jess Hartley. The concept is simple.
On Saturday, November 2nd 2013, we play games to raise money and awareness for kids. You can hear the story of this fine organization here.
Jess formed a Portland based group named Team Chaotic-Good. I knew I wanted to participate, but she lives in Portlandia whereas I live in Seattle. I decided that I would form my own group to sponsor Seattle Children’s Hospital.
And on this day, the call went forth to the world’s mightiest gamer geeks to form The Devil’s Geeks. However, I was not yet satisfied. To be Team Chaotic-Good, I would require a devious, insidious plan of attack.
Don’t you want to play a game, kids?
The Devil’s Geeks will hold our games on google-hangout. Further, to raise more money, include more people, and allow for people with a busy schedule to participate, we’re treating this like a relay race.
Schedule for Extra Life 2013
- Alpha Session will run from 9 AM to 2 PM (Pacific Standard Time).
- Bravo Session will run from 3 PM to 8 PM (Pacific Standard Time).
- Omega Session will run from 9 PM to 1 AM (Pacific Standard Time).
Rules for The Devil’s Geeks
- Team Members sign up for one or more games to play.
- To play you have to actively attempt to raise money and awareness
- Hard limit of 8 people to a session.
- Storytellers for a session will create pre-generated characters based on player input. (Or allow players to make characters for themselves in advance.)
- There will be an hour break between sessions.
Currently, I am running all three sessions, but I am hoping that someone on the Team will offer to run the Bravo Session. I am going to allow the players of my sessions to vote from the following list (which may be added to in the future):
- A Tragedy in Five Acts
- Big Eyes Small Mouth (Toy War aka Evil My Little Pony Scenario)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Angel (Either a Buffy/Angel game or Omega Watch)
- Changeling: the Lost
- Doctor Who
- Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 (Mystical Rome or Ragnorak scenario)
- The Call of Cthulhu
- V20: Hunters Hunted 2
- Vampire: the Masquerade
- Vampire: the Requiem
- Werewolf: the Apocalypse
- Wraith: the Oblivion
- The World of Darkness: Mortals (Thanes Scenario, thinking Bikers + Macbeth ala Sons of Anarchy)
The Hunger Games: The Audience Must be Appeased!
The point of this is to raise awareness and money. The best way to do this is to make our players suffer so that the audience cares enough to sponsor them.
- Members of The Devil’s Geeks will be encouraged to provide running commentary on their social media as the game proceeds. (#DevilsGeeks)
- The public will have a chance to donate to the cause via buying Sponsor Points (1 point for $20) or Bastard Points (1 point for $20).
- Sponsor Points may be cashed in to improve rolls, rearrange reality, or improve the game towards the player’s benefit pending Storyteller approval. (Just like in the Hunger Games, the players have to entertain you to make this happen.)
- Conversely, Bastard Points are used to make things more difficult for the players via increased danger level, plot twist, or pure spite of the storyteller.
Do you dare to be a member of The Devil’s Geeks? Qualifications include:
- Proper gamer manners and etiquette.
- Play to entertain each other and have fun.
- Willing to suffer or lose for a good cause
Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with?
I’m going to start my own blog soon but I’m having a difficult time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different
then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!
Pingback: Extra Life 2013: The Devil’s Geeks Schedule for November 2nd 2013 | The Universes of Jason Andrew
It’s really a great and useful piece of info. I’m satisfied that you simply shared this helpful information with us.
Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.