I think my grandest accomplishment in life is solely making my living via writing since 1996. (Yes, I am old.) I’ve written everything from technical white papers, marketing briefs, computer manuals, video game dialog, short stories, roleplaying games, and even a couple of novels.
I’ve learned a lot of the information on this page the hard way and I’ve collected it here for others to learn from my mistakes.
These are the places I look for open submission markets. This is the place for those hungry to see their words published to look and careful decide which markets might be right for them.
Jason’s Personal Writing Tips
These articles and exercises are my personal advice about writing. This is my methods and madness. Buyer beware.
Tips from Other Writers
These are the writers that I read and carefully consider. Take that as you will.
- Ten Bits of Advice Writers Should Stop Giving Aspiring Writers by Nick Mamatas
- 20 Common Grammar Mistakes That (Almost) Everyone Makes by Jon Gingerich
- Where Do You Get Your Ideas?
- Writer’s Schedule
- Writing about ladies and the unseen, menial characters
- How to Increase Your Word Count by Chuck Wendig
- The New World of Publishing: How to Keep Your Writing Going for All of 2014 by Dead Wesley Smith
- Ray Bradbury Offers 12 Essential Writing Tips and Explains Why Literature Saves Civilization
- Kurt Vonnegut’s Eight Tips on How to Write a Good Short Story
- How to Write a 1 Page Synopsis
Important Writing Resources
Every new writer should be aware of these resources and take their advice seriously.